Only in June... FREE gift will all orders of fresh truffles above £20
May 29, 2016
The Luxury Travel Guide Lifestyle Awards 2018 - Winner
December 11, 2018
6 Tips on How to Buy Fresh Truffles Online
February 28, 2014
Dear truffle lovers,
Welcome to our Blog! As you already know we are The Bishop`s Reserve of Truffles for the Industry and we provide some of the finest truffles and truffle related products available on the market. After a quick review of the articles on the web we found that there are no tips on what you should be looking at when you buy your fresh truffles online. Therefore, we would like to say a few words to all new buyers out there!
There is one very important thing to remember when looking for truffles: Winter is the best time for truffles. So, a truffle will be most flavourful during the winter season, which normally starts from October to March and peaks December to January.
Here are the tips:
1. Check if your truffles are not Chinese truffle likes or that Chinese truffle-likes are not used in the manufacturing process (for truffle related products). No company, that values its customers, would try to sell you these for European, as the Chinese truffles are nothing like the Italian, French or Spanish Truffles.
2. Check the Grade you buy. Yes, truffles are graded too and the price may be highly variable depending on Grade/quality.
2.1. Grade Extra is the highest class of truffles and includes truffles with perfect round shape, no wholes, no softness and no damage (excludes minor cut for interior check). These are often included in Grade A batches, as Grade Extra is hard to find and in batch of 10kg you may find even less than 500 grams and most truffle sellers prefer to give these away and sell them instantly, rather than sort and sell for higher price.
2.2. Grade A is Class 1 for truffles and it includes whole truffles with no damage (minor scratch is possible), imperfect/irregular shape (may have some wholes but still free from insects), well ripe truffles with allusive aroma.
2.3. Grade B is Class 2 and it includes the rest, very soft, pieces, unripe etc.(as most cheap truffles)
3. The Best truffles would come from France, Spain, Italy or their suppliers. By the best we mean long after taste and allusive aroma (dependable on species).
4. Make sure you have clear idea of what species you're after to avoid disappointment:
4.1. Should you look for light and gentle aroma with some summer hints and after taste of hazelnuts and vanilla you can go for the Black Summer truffle - Tuber Aestivum Vitt (end of May till end of September).
4.2. If light is not enough you can go for the a bit more intense Black Autumn Truffle - Tuber Uncinatum Chatin (October - November, February - March). With aroma similar to the Black Summer truffle and medium after taste, but one or two ideas (depending on your understanding of idea) better.
4.3. Should you look for more intense and dominating aroma (which sometimes can blow your socks off) with some musky hints and after taste of "I have no idea what has just happened but it was amazingly thrilling" you can go for the Black Winter truffle - Tuber Melanosporum Vitt (November - March) or the Black Musky Truffle - Tuber Brumale Vitt(end of Jan - end of March/April).
4.4. And should you prefer heavy and garlic aroma you can go for the White Winter Truffle - Tuber Magnatum Pico (October - end of January)
5. Check times of dispatch and delivery. The higher price is sign that there aren`t that many truffles in general and pre-booking may be a safe way to have yours on time for that special moment and avoid disappointment.
6. Ask as many questions as you think are enough and remember that sometimes the most important question is the extra one that you decide not to ask.
Please note this guide is not exclusive and covers some of the most important, but not all, things to think for when you`re about to purchase your truffles. Being a guide it includes suggestions based on experience and is not official statement.
Should you wish to purchase from us, feel free to check availability of the quantity desired. If no available at time of purchase we will be happy to pay you 10% daily interest in weight of truffles. The daily interest is calculated from day of purchase until day of dispatch and is subject to dispatch times and valid for business days only(excludes Saturday, Sunday and Public Holidays in country of Origin or the UK)
Should you have any questions or comments please feel free to contact.